No Better Year to Run 26 Miles

On January 1st, 2014, I embarked on a new yet familiar journey: to run the world. In an effort to get into peak physical condition -- the best shape of my life -- I downloaded the Nike+ app onto my iPhone and simply began jogging. I was determined to run farther, push harder and grow stronger than I ever thought possible. I ran circles around NP; I attempted the hills of San Francisco six months later. Since that day, I’ve now run over 600 miles and conquered two half-marathons! This was much thanks to the love and belief of people like my Dad, friends like Stepha, rockstars like my sisters, and new colleagues like Stephanie. 

Downtown LA 10K 2014
      Santa Barbara Half 2014
SF Half with Steph, PoP and some LinkedIn co-workers!
During the same period of time and after my move to San Francisco, I heard the story of a young man that deeply resonated with me. At my same young age of twenty-something, Adam loved to travel and longed for a greater sense of purpose, so he ventured abroad to achieve both: during a semester at sea, he came across a community in need and realized that with a mere $25 and a single pencil he could accomplish more than he had ever thought possible. He founded Pencils of Promise, a “for-purpose” organization and global community that believes everyone deserves access to quality education. 

That same organization, fondly known as PoP, noted my interest in their cause and reached out to me — all the way from New York — and invited me to run with their San Francisco half-marathon team (back in July 2015). After several conversations, I became a part of the founding member of its San Francisco leadership chapter! What an "intelligent risk" it was that fateful Thursday, to leave my desk for a typical speaker series session at the LinkedIn office. This group led me to new friends, is teaching me new skills (bartending included), and inspires me to think beyond my day-to-day at the office. It’s safe to say that PoP is both a cause and community that was meant to enter my life, not only to push me to become a greater version of myself -- but also to remind me of my ability to be part of something bigger.

PoP info session at LinkedIn w/ my co-worker Tara
 Some of the San Francisco Leadership committee, PoP alum Alejandra included
   SF Bartending Fundraiser @ "Soda PoPs"
The time has come for me to reach even higher and pursue a “bucket-list” goal of mine... in honor of the efforts by Pencils of Promise. As the new year and my next birthday approach, I realize that never will there be a better time, nor is there a better year than the ripe age of 26, to set out to run 26 miles. This February, just days after the "big 2-7," I will be running across my former city (and home to many friends, family and memories) in the 2016 LA Marathon

Each of us owes much of our lives, strength and success to our early education; I know that I do. If anyone else is inspired to give thanks, help me to fundraise more than I ever thought possible, or help create a safe, thriving educational environment for a child in Ghana, Guatemala or Laos, here's my fundraising page. I'm humbled by the simple dollar amounts (i.e. $10,000 sponsors an entire classroom in an underserved village overseas). 

This inaugural post marks my commitment to sharing my progress, training miles and San Francisco sunrise pictures on this blog, on Twitter or Instagram and via the website and story of Pencils of Promise SF! This is only the beginning. To 26! 

A morning run along Embarcadero and my secret spot on Pier 7

|

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Local Look #1: Melrose Place(s)

Thoughts on 9-5: When September Ends

The Perks of Spontaneity