27 Intentions for a Sweet (Twenty-)Sixteen

My annual tradition of reflecting and, then, developing classic “New Year’s Resolutions” happened differently this year. Not only is 2016 set out to be my most epic year yet when it comes to physical accomplishments and personal records; I also began a new role at work, embarked on a robust fundraising effort, am quite possibly (and regrettably) on the brink of falling in love… and, not to mention, am steadily arriving at the dawn of my late twenties.  

There were three new trains of thought that both 1. sped on through my former, naive philosophy of setting goals and simply writing them down and 2. changed my approach entirely from writing down “resolutions” to crafting specific intentions that connect to my most authentic self and will provide pathways to my best year to date. Allow me to tell you about them:

  1. The word “resolution” (rezəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n/) stems from the root “resolve,” which typically refers to the solution for a problem. I do not require a “solution to, answer to, nor settlement of" a "problem or contentious matter” (Google Dictionary). Everything that happened to me - this past year and in years prior - was necessary for my growth and self-discovery to this point. I’m thankful to my #workbff and soul-sister Shira A, plus a few other friends and authors, for aiding in that realization. 
  2. Certain lines of thinking in the realm of positive psychology highlight character strengths as more than nice-to-knows; some might say that our character strengths comprise the most authentic parts of ourselves. When fully tapped and leveraged, our strengths can not only help us to reach our full potential (Rath, Strengthsfinder), but also to experience utmost fulfillment. If my core strengths are the most representative components of who I truly am, than crafting intentions and manifesting those in my life and work should help me to be the most in-tune with my identity and core purpose, too (as taught to me by Masters Candidate in Positive Psychology, Stephanie H). 
  3. Another theory around goal-setting and utilizing positive psychology includes two necessities for achieving our aspirations: not only willpower (the intrinsic drive that fuels our efforts), but also “way-power": the pathways, both tried and learned through the experience of ourselves and others, which provide the “how” for getting to our highest goals and aspirations.* The more I consider this last idea, the more I aspire to be specific, intentional and even flexible in what I set out to accomplish in the next twelve months and as my 27th mile— I mean, year — come to a close. 
*Perhaps guilty of butchering the lessons taught to me in my summaries above, I encourage you to read more about willpower and way-power through the esteemed viewpoints of NYU and Columbia intellects in this article. If you're interested. 

With all of these sparkly, intriguing lenses absorbing and reflecting the hopes/goals/ideas in my head, a gorgeous rainbow of intentions seems to have resulted — subtly illuminating the path I envision for myself at 27 and in 2016. Below, I’ll share these. As I drafted, edited and solidified both my aspirations and "implementation intentions" (McCarthy, 2011) below, it was no coincidence that they tie back to the strengths that I've recently uncovered and embraced. Here's to hoping they [all] stick! 

My Signature Strengths
-enthusiasm, energy & zest
-capacity to love & be loved
-leadership
-gratitude
-social intelligence

My Highest 2016 Aspirations
-get and stay in the best (physical and mental) shape of my life
-be more mindful and strive toward becoming an “essentialist"
-master my role at work and as a writer by diving into both
-focus time and new energies on those who are most important, including me
-give back to those people and causes who have less and helped me get to where I am today

My 27 Intentions (catch the dual meaning here?)

  1. Run the LA Marathon
  2. Get and stay in the best shape of my life @ 27
  3. Build a habit of meditating regularly
  4. Reserve and practice “me-time” each week
  5. Demonstrate gratitude daily and creatively
  6. Extend love and effort to my Grandmothers
  7. Maintain and honor my pen-pals (ie. Cindy, Gramz, and JG)
  8. Write something down every day
  9. Master my role as a Customer Success Manager by exceeding expectations in the eyes of my stakeholders
  10. Travel to Japan and explore a new country
  11. Mentor students before and beyond CHS
  12. Travel to a new city in the US
  13. Strengthen global relationships (ie. friends, Trojans and fellows at LinkedIn)
  14. Conduct research on living and working abroad
  15. Explore and identify what makes a “home” to me
  16. Find and build relationships with two new roommates
  17. See a new band or artist
  18. Attend a [new?] music festival!
  19. Nurture mentor relationships, both old and new
  20. Be selective (in love and war)
  21. Practice self-love
  22. Demonstrate self-respect
  23. Weigh instant gratification against long-term impact often
  24. Pay off my credit card debt
  25. Invest in tools to cook and be healthier (i.e. Crock Pot & food processor); see: cook more
  26. Step outside of my comfort zone by facing a fear
  27. Help to develop [SF] and elevate Pencils of Promise
As I approach the end of my twenty-seventh year -- and envision the 27th mile and long-awaited finish line of the symbolic marathon I'll conquer in just over a month -- I am confident that the intentions above will make for decent stepping stones when the path looks hazy. Tonight? It's crystal clear. 

To 27 and 2016!
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Local Look #1: Melrose Place(s)

Thoughts on 9-5: When September Ends

The Perks of Spontaneity