Making the Most of an Atypical Monday

Some might say I was confined to the insides of my apartment building by the rainy weather. I could have remained, chilly and discouraged, in the warmth of my bed throughout. A recent letdown that had me teetering on the edge of heartbreak put me at risk of experience a bout of resignation; finally, the come-down after holiday season and my slew of visitors to San Francisco made this three-day weekend one with high-potential for loneliness. 

I didn’t let that stop me. 

Despite the testy weather and plenty of temptation to remain horizontal, I leveraged this third-weekend-day that was today as a vessel to carry out several of my New Years intentions. Several acts were intentional; a few were not. I’ll admit that the extra time permitted me to sleep in, drink too much coffee, and even procrastinate in addition to getting so much done; I can’t deny that the Monday holiday helped make it possible. But for all those who know of my obsessive campaign toward #maximizingmondays: know that I didn’t treat this one any different. 

Intention #2  Get and stay in the best shape of my life

This morning I was met with soreness and fatigue. Saturday, having marked my longest run to date (at 18 miles!), was literally no walk in the park... and my failure to stretch or foam-roll adequately had me in some pain upon waking. Though spring cleaning (another urge and intention) was calling and while brunch beckoned, I compromised with a short run along the Embarcadero to meet Chelsea at our fave local breakfast haunt. I even made it to the grey and gloomy rooftop for a stretch before. How a simple 20 minutes paid off! They served as both a warm-up and recovery that were much needed. 

Intention #4 Reserve and practice “me time” 

I spent time this morning chatting with Mom and, this evening, catching up with a long-time friend and early-roommate; I even invited multiple SFriends to join me for yoga or some of my nesting throughout the day. However, a perhaps meaningful turn of fate (that called Chels to dinner with another close friend) permitted me the solo time I truly needed at the end of this long weekend. I reflected on my emotional start to the year; I grocery-shopped and cooked myself dinner! I even listened to my favorite pick-me-up tunes in my EarPods while prancing around the kitchen and had time for an inspirational podcast before bed. I feel rejuvenated. Am I becoming an introvert?

The best part of "me time"

Intention #5 Demonstrate gratitude daily

When weekdays are so prone to zooming into gear, and weekends spent lavishly sleeping in can fly by, I realized this morning that a brief check-in first thing upon waking can often set the tone for a joyful and grateful day. Perhaps I should make this a daily intervention: I woke up to my alarm and texted Mom to make sure she had arrived safely home from a trip. The first thing I said was “thank you,” for she had invited me to join at the final hour (and it was hard to resist, being Vegas and all). It had meant a lot and I thought my thanks while living vicariously through her pictures, so there was no better time to remind her than upon welcoming her home.

Intention #15 Explore and identify what makes a “home"

Thanks to the friendship of a girl who loves me and can lounge like a sister-by-blood, I spent the middle of our movie-watching day both rearranging my furniture and refining the tchotchkes and memorabilia around my bedroom to those that truly count… for the first time in the year since I moved in. It helped me re-prioritize what holds sentimental and future-value for me; it also made space for ideas and potential. I took the time to research options for my bed and wall (the biggest canvases I have to myself!) and felt inspired by what I envision in 2016.

Intention #25 Invest in tools to cook and be healthier

As I alluded to above, “me time” permitted the initiative and creativity to cook something up for dinner. I nearly resorted to the option closest to me, but then remembered the beautiful enamel pan I received as a Secret Santa gift from a best friend whose health and dedication to wellness inspire me: Jenna. I christened the pan with fresh kale and sautéed tomatoes atop my turkey burgers; I am happy to know that the pan comfortably fits sustenance for two (the number for whom I’m eating these days amidst my marathon training). I also “invested” in such a tool by trying it bravely, washing it promptly, and placing it in the kitchen where it belongs [rather than on top of my vanity table in a classic-Carrie Bradshaw multi-purpose storage maneuver). 

I call this one "Kale on enamel"

Today’s time spent investing in me not only felt great, but it resonated with my intentions for the year. I have to start somewhere. Just this past week alone, I heard two wise thinkers state logic that aligns:

The more time you spend in a place, the more likely you are to spend time in that place -- Andy Putticomb, CEO of Headspace (in reference to practicing meditation)

It makes sense: If you lift weights, your biceps are going to get stronger; if you use the neural pathways for love and gratitude, they’re going to get stronger and become more potent in your life. — Janice Kaplan, author of The Gratitude Diaries (in reference to her “Yearlong Experiment in Thanks” on an episode of my new favorite podcast, The Good Life Project)



I think I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Local Look #1: Melrose Place(s)

Thoughts on 9-5: When September Ends

The Perks of Spontaneity