Moving from "mid-" to "late"

It's been said 1 million times that the most important things aren't things. But if we're not careful, it seems, many of us find ourselves overwhelmed by all the stuff we have to manage, instead of focused on what we're most passionate about. - Shauna Niequest, Present over Perfect

As August 9th comes to a close, I see now that it's official: I'm in my late twenties. A new friend pointed out to me this weekend that once at age twenty-seven and past the half-birthday mark, we are officially in our late twenties -- forbidden from pretending that it's still the "mid-twenties" phase of our young lives. Is that fair?!! If so, I was officially amidst my late-twenties as of eight thirty-three PM tonight. 

I'm in my late twenties, alright: a period I once associated with SO MANY DIFFERENT things than my life now entails. In our late twenties, we'd have fallen in love. In our late twenties, we'd have figured it out: we'd have bought a house, or be thinking of having kids. In my late twenties, I once thought I'd have all the funds in the world. In my late twenties, I'd be traveling like my mom did or have been to all the places I'd once dreamed of going. In my late twenties, I once thought that the answers would have ironed themselves out. Now in my late twenties, I'm proud to say that I'm still crafting my vision, pathways and intentions for finding all of said "answers." 

In remembering what I realized in early 2016, I see that I still lean toward seeking "answers" or solutions to life's challenges. Does this imply there's a problem (or that I'm Type-A, and seek resolution)? Instead, I'd like to reflect on my intentions for Age-27 and how I've manifested and lived those. Even if 27 isn't what I once imagined as a girl, it may very well be what I envisioned when I was still 26 -- that girl who hadn't yet run 26 miles nor achieved 27 years. 

Intentions in Practice
Reserve and practice “me-time” each week
Nurture mentor relationships, both old and new: Better than imagined thanks to five-year-reunions and new opportunities to learn at LinkedIn.
Explore and identify what makes a “home” to me: more deeply than I could have anticipated
Write something down every day: reinstated as of late. I write at work and journal on weekends!
Strengthen global relationships (ie. friends, Trojans and fellows at LinkedIn)
Conduct research on living and working abroad: through meetings and interviews, this is beginning to happen
Be selective (in love and war): working in my favor
Practice self-love
Demonstrate self-respect: easier than expected
Weigh instant gratification against long-term impact often
Invest in tools to cook and be healthier: Yes (thanks to my new roomies)
Extend love and effort to my Grandmothers: something I've built upon and that taught me the beauty of their legacies, may Grandma Betty rest in peace!
Step outside of my comfort zone by facing a fear: done by raising my hand, raising my tennis racket, etc.

Intentions in Progress
Demonstrate gratitude daily and creatively: I can do better at this! 
Get and stay in the best shape of my life @ 27: done in part with a plan to return to it. 
Build a habit of meditating regularly: something I still try. 
Master my [new role] by exceeding expectations in the eyes of my stakeholders
Mentor students before and beyond CHS: something I've researched through new teams at Linkedin.
Maintain and honor my pen-pals 
Travel to a new city in the US: not yet! 
Pay off my credit card debt
Help to develop and elevate Pencils of Promise
Attend a [new?] music festival! (Signed up for Snowglobe)

Intentions Achieved 
Run the LA Marathon: done and done (in five hours eight minutes)
Find and build relationships with two new roommates: did not once, but twice! 
See a new band or artist: Adele. Enough said.
Travel to Japan and explore a new country: done and done! Uncovered so many great, unexpected outcomes (more on that later...)

As my first reflection in more than six months, the inventory taken above was critical to finding peace at this milestone. I now know that if I am ever again suffering severe writer's block, there is no better remedy to catalyze the healing process than to read my past and most recent writing. First, it takes me back to how I felt: what emotions I was overcome by at that moment in time. Second, it reminds me of my intentions back then; if they resonate now, then I know that I was in the right future-mindset and have worked toward them adequately. If not? On the other hand, this practice serves as a reminder of what was important to me, how I've grown and evolved, or what I've forgotten in lieu of other distractions. In the words Shauna Niequest (my next writer-to-read), the things I'm most passionate about resurfaced... and I'm at peace.

To halfway and to it being officially late.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Local Look #1: Melrose Place(s)

Thoughts on 9-5: When September Ends

The Perks of Spontaneity